Quick Post about Free Kriegsspiel, also Cyberpunk RPG & Adventures

This is not a session report or rules or anything else you can use, so I'm paying the Joesky Tax by releasing Cyberpunk RPG, Fast-Forward with two adventures for two bucks. If you use them, let me know!

So what do I mean when I say Free Kriegspiel nowadays?

Going from the oldest of the OSR (I’m a big 3LBB OD&D guy) and focusing solely on diegetic resolution. Emergent rules from Referee rulings instead of pre-written rules/house rules. Simple but not necessarily streamlined. No need for players to know rules to the point where I actively push for the players to NOT read them at all. It doesn’t matter because they’ll only play the game, never the system, and I AM THE LAW - not because I’m power hungry but because I enjoy providing a world for the players to adventure in and having rules be more important than my own common sense and understanding of the fictional space would lessen the immersion for the table - just like how DuVernay offered to reduce the bulk of rules reference in Kriegspiel to leave more to the Referees.

What it is not: an exclusive set of mechanics; a specific tone or setting of play.

It's nothing new either: that's how I started gaming with AD&D 2e (I just didn't read the rules, the actual at-the-table system grew from play). That's how I introduced my sisters to gaming and usually still run a lot of my games. To me, the OSR has always been about that, so there's going to be a lot of porosity between the two.

Mike Mornard's OD&D Proboards Original Thread


Comments

Popular Posts