Sellswords

 

Art by Cosmic Orrery

Audio


So I wrote this game, it's called Sellswords. The cover art is really cool, it's by my friend Cosmic.

You play as mercenaries - men-at-arms, which is inclusive now, we're taking it back. You go around, doing shit warbands do, like assassinating kings, freeing POWs, surviving grand betrayals, killing the gods and toppling their thrones...Sometimes just looting ruins, burning villages and breaking sieges.

It's morally ambiguous at best, but does not celebrate war. Rather, you're part of the problem. The game is inspired by Helm mainly, which is a great game you should go buy and play. Also by Berzerk, Cairn (cool wilderness exploration stuff), Warhammer Fantasy Battle (stitched back its corpse, perfected it through the purity of FKR), Chainmail & Braunstein are in there too.

I've decided not to explain shit until the last page where you get some basic guidelines on how to use the document, but I really wanted to avoid hand-holding and push it further: let's just assume you know what you're doing, and even if you don't, just interpret what you read and make use of it at your table. If that seems like not enough guidance, I want you to treat it as a feature rather than a bug, and start thinking "do I really need much more guidance than that to play pretend with my friends?"

Anyways, it'll be Pay-What-You-Want on Itch.io, if you like it, let me know in the comments. Cheers!

Comments

Popular Posts