Underground Adventures PDF & Other Useful Stuff!

I figured, since I'm often talking about D&D/OD&D and it's not exactly a "full" game, in the sense that it begs to be modified in various fashions, I should release my own D&D-thingie for people to judge, laugh at, and hopefuly steal ideas from.

I'm terrible at blog post formatting, so here's a PDF with a 7 pages "Player's Handbook" for my pet D&D game, Underground Adventures. It is not exactly a game proper, but not exactly just a set of house rules either, and is intended for anyone interested in playing games at my table.

The actual referee procedures are in my head as I've never managed to muster the patience to write them down in a proper and orderly fashion. I will probably make one or a few posts covering these.

Rules for
 & other Fantasies

Here are things that did not make it into the PDF but are still very relevent to my D&D. 
Some of these are well-known, others are more obscure and might fit your game. 
I'm including source for everything, too.

Quick Character Generation - From Jeff Rients' Xylarthen's Tower (free OD&D adventure).
Here's the thing: if you're a newbie, you roll a 1st level character. Because that's how you learn the game. But if you've already got experience with this kind of stuff, then why treat you like a newbie? 
I also like it because this way I can make use of the Prime Requisite stuff at CharGen and disregard it when awarding XP (who wants to gain less XP after a hard day's work?)

You can click on it to make it bigger, I think.
 
Seven Voyages of Zyrlathen's Zero Hit Point Table by Oakes Spalding
You can get the whole game for cheap on DriveThru and it is very good. 
I sometimes use this table when I want player-characters to really feel the pain of getting to 0HP without systematically murdering them.

Ditto.

The Good Hits, Bad Misses Chart from Dragon Magazine! I don't know who did this version.
I think Critical Hits & Fumble are not a very balanced system, since players will, in the long run, end up getting way more crits inflicted to them than them to any singular creature, since players are always present in a fight, but the thing is...they're super fun and I don't really care for balance.

I like PNG but you can also click on the title for the PDF.

The Best Table from Maze Rats, by Ben Milton
They're all great but this one really screams "use me!"

There, converted the mechanics to D&D.



Tomorrow, I should get around to writing and posting the last session's report, which was a one-shot of Zzarchov Kowalski's Scourge of Tikbalang (spoilers: it is very good).

Comments

Popular Posts