Thoughts on a Carcosa Campaign

Deleted the posts on my God-Thing idea as I wasn't satisfied with the stuff.
The more I look at it, the more it seems to me like Carcosa is the perfect "base" for a D&D campaign:

• There's an hex map with a bunch of stuff in it for when the players go somewhere unexpected.
• Alongside that, the Carcosan Grimoire provides encounter tables in the 3LBB's style for all terrains.
• All these monsters and shit? They're way more interesting to deal with than orcs and goblins.
• Spawns in particular are great since they provide an explanation for the weirdest, unique stuff.
• There's only Fighting-Men (and Sorcerers, but they're mechanically similar).
• It's human-only, yet the thirteen races of men give me a lot to work with.
• The tech level is around 6th century england (no whiffy plate armor!) with cool science-fantasy bits.
• Things are grimdark yet the potential for silly gonzo shit is high - variety of tone: check.
• The setting is only painted in broad strokes, so I won't feel weird building upon it/changing things.
• The rules are 3LBB (I can still use the LotFP edition for its additional content, though).

Really, all I need to do before I start playing:

• Draw a small hex map using my pocket dimensions (37 hexes shaped like a bigger hex per page!)
• Draw a starting settlement map and write down necessary info on the map directly
• Dig a Carcosa-themed dungeon and ruins nearby
• Maybe alter the starting equipment list slightly (no plate armor, and chainmail should be 100gp)

Tomorrow, I'll be running the Fungoid Garden of the Bone Sorcerer using Into the Odd (for a change of pace from my usual D&D), but I'll most likely use my heavily edited Delving Deeper v4 booklet for this one.

Comments

Popular Posts